Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Written Jan 5, 2013 1:43pm by Michele Robinson (Duffey)
So, today I'm at work. We rotate weekends. It's my turn..so here I am for a long day alone. I was on the phone with Dr. Kim's office earlier..getting the financial breakdown. This brain problem is quite pricey...My insurance only pays Dr. Kim's fee at 50%..Insurance is great at times. Other times...well, other times are just other times. Thankfully, the hospital fee is covered at 80%.
His office staff..a sweet young girll named Kristen, was kind enough to remind me that this only covers the procedures Dr. Kim sees necessary so far. She went on to tell me of other procedures that commonly arise in people with Chiari, Arachnoid Cysts and EDS. Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but I guess I'd rather have all cards on the table and know exactly what could happen.
She laughed at me a few times because I said the wrong thing..like I said "Isabel" when I meant to say "Dr. Kim". She said.."I hear it all the time..all of the Chiari patients do that". I wish I could hang out with more Chiari patients. I think I would feel a little more normal.
I've purposed to pray for Kristen daily. What a job she has..calling patients..ALL of whom are facing brain surgery for a vast array of things. We are all anxious about finances and anxious about surgery. She is very calm, kind and patient. I met her in the office, she appears to be about 24-25 yrs old. Very mature and comforting in her mannerisms. If you think of it, pray for Kristen, I'm sure there are many days she needs it.

No comments:

Post a Comment